A new app out of Ireland is set to make the task of maintaining adequate food hygiene and safety standards easier than ever.
Developed by environmental health graduates and colleagues Emer Murphy and Michael O’Rourke, ‘Safe Food Healthy Business’ features both written information and tutorials that business owners can leverage to guarantee the health and safety of their customers.
“We developed the app due to the increased number of food businesses closing because of poor food hygiene standards in Ireland,” said Murphy.
The idea for the app was conceived in August 2012, and it was launched in February after six months of information and software development.
Murphy believes the app has all aspects of food safety covered. “Our app addresses what the user needs to know about food safety and we can rely on our backgrounds in environmental health to achieve this.
“The app provides food businesses with concise factual information on the requirements and good practice methods in food safety," he said.
The app offers:
- Guidelines for dealing with food poisoning outbreaks
- Tips for pest control identification and elimination
- Information about the latest food alerts
- Advice for setting up a food business
- Tips for managing food allergies
- Information business owners can leverage when setting up a new business
- Guidelines for managing E. coli 0157
- HACCP templates business owners can refer to in order to ensure they comply with food safety laws
- Information about who to contact for food safety products and services
Murphy said Safe Food Healthy Business is a food safety app unline any other. “Our app is unique in what it has to offer the user, as no other food safety app in the iTunes store offers the style of information we do,” Murphy said.
The app is available from the iTunes store for free, and it is compatible with both iPhones and iPads.
This article first appeared on the Hospitality Magazine website. For similar articles, please go to Hospitality Magazine.