Incorporated in July 1992, the Outdoor Power Equipment Association (OPEA) represents major manufacturers and distributors of various items of outdoor power equipment across Australia.
The OPEA states that it aims to "promote the growth of the outdoor power equipment Industry for the benefit of all participants in the supply chain, from manufacturer to consumer."
To achieve this aim, the OPEA:
- represents the industry to Governments, authorities and other associations
- provides support, knowledge and membership services that capitalise on the combined strengths of member companies
- develops and initiates education and training across the industry; and
- actively communicates and supports the OPEA Code of Ethics.
The OPEA notes that a significant focus for the Association is the current health of the outdoor power equipment industry, particularly in the retail area.
To foster a more productive and efficient industry, OPEA has implemented a number of programs, such as:
- staff training
- industry trade shows
- tax seminars; and
- hazard documentation.
The Association finalised its Code of Ethics in 1994/95, a principle document designed to provide a focus for members to conduct their business with the well being and future direction of the industry in mind.
Under the Code of Ethics, OPEA members agree to:
- adhere to the highest standard of honesty and integrity in all business dealings
- provide a consistently high standard of service to customers
- promote safety in the use of outdoor power equipment and all work practices; and
- promote and adhere to responsible industry standards and trading practices.
On a consultative level, the OPEA notes that recently it was instrumental in proposing initiatives for the establishment of the Franchising Code of Conduct.