An incorporated, not-for-profit association, the Outdoor Council of Australia (OCA) represents a diverse range of outdoor industry professionals across Australia.
The OCA defines its role as to "represent to the community, industry and all levels of government the views and needs of the outdoor sector."
In this role as advocate, the Council endeavours to represent organisations and individuals that use outdoor adventure activities for the purpose of:
- personal development; or
- corporate development.
The OCA advocates for:
- policies, strategies and actions that support and encourage the outdoor recreation sector
- promotes a philosophy and practice of sustainable interaction with the natural environment
- encourages organisational development within the outdoor community that enhances the delivery of services
- promotes best practices in standards and quality of leadership and training; and
- promotes the advancement of research on outdoor related issues and participation.
The Patron of the OCA is Tim Macartney-Snape, "a committed supporter of the power of the outdoors to positively affect lives, relationships and the environment itself."