The finalists for the Rare Medium Chef of the Year competition were announced at a special event on 6 May and include some of the top professional chefs from around Australia.
Held at Foodservice Australia events, The Rare Medium Chef of the Year is an annual competition that sees chefs compete against one another and the clock, using only a bag of mystery ingredients to create their best dishes in just one hour.
The winner of the 2013 Rare Medium Chef of the Year Competition will win a trophy and a $10,000 cash prize. Finalists include:
- Neil Abrahams, Royal Canberra Golf Club, ACT(Defending Champion)
- Mauro Callegari, True South, Victoria
- Daniel Brehaut, Black Bull Tapas, Victoria
- John Ayala, Richmond Hill Café, Victoria
- Daniel Wilson, Huxtable, Victoria
- Nick Creswick, Libertine, Victoria
- Jesse Hughes, Vue Grand, Victoria
- Steven Nelson, Bistro Gitan, Victoria
- Simon Murphy, the Australian Club, Victoria
- Chris Henderson, The Big Group, Victoria
- Matthew McCool, Shangri La, The Rocks, NSW
- Ayan Erkoc, Celsius, South Austalia
- Jeremy King, Champs Bistro, ACT
- Matthew Weller, Wildfire, The Rocks, NSW
- Alexander Nelson, Mulpha, Hayman Island
- Braden White, Stokehouse, Queensland
- Gabriele Olivieri, Bottega, Victoria
- Craig Dowling, Crown, Victoria
- Adrien Van Keulen, HG Hotels, Victoria
- Troy Payne, Melbourne Zoo, Victoria
- Cam Woolcock, Marian College, Victoria
- Yik Tan, Nobu, Victoria
- Loic Lemaitre, Rydges Cambelltown, NSW
- Richmond Rodrigues, Orange, Victoria
- Michele Usci, DOC Group, Victoria
The finalists will compete live at the Foodservice Australia show in Melbourne on 2-3 June 2013, where four kitchens will be built on the show floor so visitors can watch as the action unfolds.
Gary Farrell, competition director, Rare Medium Chef of the Year, says “the judging process is highly detailed and will reward the most creative, efficient and capable competitors. They have to produce something special using the key ingredients and within the time limit."
Judges include highly experienced chefs John McFadden (Trippas White Group); Mark Normayle (RACV Club); Peter Dixon (epicure); Lisa Morrison (William Angliss); Walter Wagner; Nicholas Blackmore and Black Hat George Hill.
The major sponsor of this event is Rare Medium, a chef’s journal that strives to bridge the gap between farm and kitchen.
Other sponsors for the event include the William Angliss Institute; Chobani Yoghurt; Alsco; Independent Fisheries; Kikkoman; Sous Vide; and Victorinox Knives.
The Rare Medium Chef of the Year and FoodService Australia exhibition run from 2 June 2013 through to 4 June 2013 at the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne. Entry is strictly trade only.