The Australian Food and Grocery Council describes itself as the leading national organisation representing packaged food, drink and grocery products manufacturers across Australia.
The Council defines its role as ""to help shape a business environment that encourages the food and grocery products industry to grow and remain profitable."
To achieve this, the Council works to:
- ensure there is a cohesive and credible voice for the industry
- advance policies relevant to the industry; and
- manage issues as they arise.
A significant focus is also placed on helping member companies to grow their businesses in a socially responsible way.
As the food and grocery product industry is Australia's largest manufacturing sector, members of the Council play a significant part in ensuring the economic and social welfare of all Australians. Most tellingly, products from Council members can be found in every Australian household.
Current priorities for the Australian Food and Grocery Council are to:
- promote the profile of the industry, leading to a government supported national Food and Grocery Agenda
- position the industry as an influential player in preventative health and other government initiatives
- develop guidelines for sustainable practices set across industry for carbon, water and waste streams
- ensure voluntary codes are widely accepted and implemented as alternatives to regulation
- promote supply chain efficiencies and foster productive retailer relationships; and
- revamp member services for better value proposition and expanded membership.